As each wave of Unity Marketing’s Luxury Tracking study is fielded, special topics of interest to luxury marketers are researched in more depth and published in a separate trend report. For the second quarter 2013 study, fielded in July 2013, luxury consumers were asked about their enjoyment of wine. A total of n=909 luxury consumers, out of n=1,189 total sample, reported that they regularly or occasionally drink wine, or over three-fourths of the total luxury consumers surveyed. These wine drinkers were asked a range of questions specific to their wine consumption and purchase behavior:
- What occasions they typically drink wine, such as when dining out, relaxing at the end of the day, with informal meals, etc.
- Type of wine regularly enjoyed, including domestic or imported, and, if imported, what countries they choose for imported wines.
- Purchases of wine in restaurants, including how often they order wine when dining out; if they order wine by the glass or bottle; what factors most influence one’s wine selection when dining out, such as brand, matched food, recommended by sommelier, etc.; how much one typically spends buying a bottle of wine in restaurant.
- Purchase of wine at retail, including how often shop for wine at retail; what factors most influence one’s wine selection at retail, such as brand, favorite varietal, shelf label, promotion, price, etc.; how much one typically spends buying a bottle of wine at retail.
- Wine varietals favored, including red varietals and white varietals.
- Reasons why one drinks and enjoys wine, such as health aspects, taste, with food, affordability, etc.
- Wine activities participated in during the past year, such as joining a wine club, visiting a vineyard, attended a wine tasting, searched for wine information online, used mobile to access wine information, etc.
The results of this study are compared with those from a similar study conducted the fourth quarter 2011, fielded in early January 2012. In that survey a total of 795 out of a total sample of 1,201 luxury consumers (66 percent) report enjoying wine once a month or more often. Note: the wine-drinker samples from each study were selected by slightly different criteria. The 2013 wine drinkers reported they regularly or occasionally enjoyed wine, while no specific criteria were used to define regular or occasional drinking, while in 2011 wine drinkers were defined as those who enjoy wine once a month or more often.
Added-Value in this Report
This report also includes highlights from the regular Luxury Tracking report on the wine category, including trends in the demand for wine from 2010 thorough 1H2013; trends in spending on wine from 2010-2012; and the most popular high-end wine brands from the current luxury tracking survey.
This trend report is prepared for marketers that need to better understand the luxury consumers and how wine fits into their lifestyle
- It provides insights to help marketers position their wine brands better to meet the desires of the luxury wine consumers.
- It provides data relevant to pricing wine, as well as insights into what wine varietals are in the greatest demand among the luxury wine consumers.
- This is a report prepared for any marketer that makes or sells wine targeting the luxury or high end wine segment or affluent wine consumers.
August 2013 (56 pages)
Published Price: $750